Countermeasures on counterfeit goods in Vietnam to be strengthened.
On April 1 (Thu.), 2021, a Memorandum of Cooperation (MOC) in Protection and Enforcement of Intellectual Property Rights was signed between the Japan Patent Office (JPO) and the Vietnam Directorate of Market Surveillance of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam’s Ministry of Industry and Trade.
Purpose of the MOC
Following discussions on cooperation between Japan and Vietnam regarding measures against counterfeit goods at a meeting of the Japan-Vietnam Joint Committee on Cooperation in Industry, Trade and Energy (which discusses a wide range of matters regarding cooperation in the fields of industry, trade, and energy on a ministerial level), a Memorandum of Cooperation in Protection and Enforcement of Intellectual Property Rights was signed on April 1, 2021, in order to further enhance future cooperation between the two countries regarding anti-counterfeit measures.
This is the first MOC on measures against counterfeit goods that has been signed with Vietnam. It is expected to lead to strengthened control over counterfeit goods in Vietnam.
Main contents agreed on in the MOC
- Jointly holding seminars and training on correctly judging the authenticity of counterfeit goods
- Cooperating with market research in Vietnam and anti-counterfeit awareness activities aimed at market stakeholders
- Providing information about both countries’ intellectual property policies, laws and regulations, etc.
- Investigating individual cases of infringement, etc. of intellectual property rights, and sharing information on procedures, practical experiences, etc. related to measures against infringement intellectual property rights
- Sharing statistics and other information on administrative lawsuits and activities conducted by the Vietnam Directorate of Market Surveillance
MEMORANDUM OF COOPERATION (MOC) BETWEEN VIETNAM DIRECTORATE OF MARKET SURVEILLANCE, MINISTRY OF INDUSTRY AND TRADE OF THE SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIETNAM AND JAPAN PATENT OFFICE, MINISTRY OF ECONOMY, TRADE AND INDUSTRY OF JAPAN IN PROTECTION AND ENFORCEMENT OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
Japan: Mr. Kasutani Toshihide, Commissioner of the Japan Patent Office
Vietnam: Mr. Trần Hữu Linh, Director General of the Directorate of Market Surveillance